Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Monster Cookies Abbreviated


I like to bake--kind of. Mostly I like to eat fresh cookies and pretend I am domestic. The things I don't like about baking are making a shopping list, going to the store, and buying unusual ingredients; measuring a lot of stuff and mixing it up; putting 800 cookies on baking sheets and waiting for them to get done when it is already 102 degrees in Galt; taking them off the baking sheets and putting them on cooling racks all over the kitchen; finding enough containers to store them; and getting a bunch of odd utensils dirty that Greg will be mad about when he goes to wash the dishes. But I wanted some Monster Cookies! I found a lot of recipes on-line and had a couple in my cookbooks, but they all start off with "1 dozen eggs"--I wanted a dozen cookies! So I hunted down a small recipe and reduced it down even further until it was something manageable, and even reduced the sugar a little. There is no flour in them, so you won't get heartburn due to your wheat allergy. The measuring isn't fussy; if they don't turn out like you planned, you are just going to eat them anyway. These aren't diet cookies; sorry, I don't know how to fix that. There is only one dozen, little old grandmas and grandpas don't need a Rubbermaid tub of cookies. I didn't even use the mixer, just creamed the first six ingredients together with a spoon. If you plan to eat them for breakfast and want them to be a little healthier, use raisins instead of chocolate chips and M & M's (that is, if you like raisins; we don't). You know how you like your cookies--if you like them crisp (like we do), bake them a little longer; if you like them chewy, use less oatmeal and bake them for a shorter time. After you make them two or three times, you won't even need to look at the recipe. See? There, now you have one dozen cookies and you hardly made any mess at all.

Use a greased baking sheet and set the oven at 350 degrees.


1 egg

1/3 cup brown sugar

1/3 cup white sugar

1 teaspoon baking soda

3 tablespoons butter (just cut it off the stick)

1/2 cup peanut butter

1 1/3 cups oatmeal

1/4 cup chocolate chips

1/4 cup M & M's


Cream together the first six ingredients. Stir in the oatmeal, add the chips and M & M's. Roll into 12 balls and place on a cookie sheet, and flatten them down a little. Bake them. Eat them. If there are any left, put in a zip lock bag.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is really close to my recipe as well -- but I use a full cup sugar/ 1.5 cups of PNB and so on. My trick for "Prettier" cookies is that I do NOT add the m&m's to the batter. I scoop out my dough with an average size ice cream scoop (yes mine are THAT big), push down a little so they look like a volcano of cookie dough and put 5-6 m&m's on top of the dough. That way I don't get the prettiness of the colors lost in the batter!

Crazy = maybe
Anal and OCD = YES!

~jen

Greg said...

What got left out of the recipe is the instruction to dirty every bowl, cookie sheet, spoon, plate, spatula, measuring cup, cake pan, double boiler, cheese grater, knife, butter dish, lobster fork and fragile piece of glass cookware you own. Then come to your husband and say sweetly..."honey, there's cookies on the table" and skedaddle! I still don't know what the lobster forks were for.

Lee said...

Maybe the lobster forks were to shell the M&M's?
Just a thought

Anonymous said...

Lobster Fork = taste tester device for the batter

~jen