Friday, May 29, 2009

Green Enchiladas


This is the best I can do for a recipe on the green enchiladas. It is Greg’s recipe, but he said I should write it up, and everyone knows I don’t care much about measuring ingredients. However they turn out for you is how you will eat them.

2 pounds ground pork
2 pounds Monterey Jack cheese, grated
1 big bag of the small tortillas (either flour or corn; we prefer corn)
1 big can of green enchilada sauce
Cilantro

First, go to the butcher shop and have them grind two pounds of pork. I ask the guy to cut off as much fat as he can before he grinds the pork, and I will pay him extra to do it. Brown the ground pork, and season it with garlic salt. If you like peppers and onions, add them to the pork. Cool the browned pork.
Grate the cheese.
If you want to do it, you can sauté the tortillas in oil as you roll the tortillas. I don’t do this, but Greg does.
Place a tortilla on a dinner plate, add equal amounts of ground pork and grated cheese, roll up the tortilla, and place in a Pyrex baking pan that has a small amount of enchilada sauce in the bottom. When all your pans are full, snip the cilantro all over the top of the enchiladas. Pour the green enchilada sauce over the top. Sprinkle some grated cheese over the top. Bake at 300 to 325 degrees.
I only bake one pan, and freeze the rest unbaked.

The traditional Mexican way to prepare the enchiladas is to layer everything in a pan; don’t bother rolling up the enchiladas, and it will be like a big casserole.

I made a similar dish when I organized a St. Patrick’s Day buffet at work and requested everyone bring green food. I think this is what I used (it was vegetarian as I didn’t know my co-workers dietary habits).

1 or 2 cans diced green chilis
1 big can green enchilada sauce
Corn tortillas
2 pounds grated Monterey Jack cheese

Pour a small amount of enchilada sauce in the bottom of a Pyrex pan, layer the tortillas, sauce, chilis, and cheese, ending with a layer of tortillas and a thick layer of green sauce (so it stays moist and the tortillas don’t dry out). If it looks like it is getting too dry while it is baking, cover it with aluminum foil.
You can also add sour cream and/or a can of cream of chicken soup when you are layering it.
I didn’t have any leftovers, so I guess everyone liked it. It takes five minutes or less to put together, and the only utensils you will get dirty will be a can opener, cheese grater, and a bowl.

3 comments:

Lee said...

Should I ask Greg if the dirty utensil statement is true?

Greg said...

I guess I should have written this up like I said I would.

First, those measurements are approximations only. The real recipe calls for a big bunch of ground pork, a piece of Monterey Jack cheese the size of a brick and a big bunch of cilantro. Using actual weights will spoil the last pan of enchiladas.

Second, one never uses a flour tortilla to make an enchilada, and they are merely heated in a small amount of oil to aid in rolling. If they are not the tortillas will tear.

Third, you use about 2/3rds cheese and 1/3rd pork, unless you are feeding lumberjacks or crab fishermen.

Fourth, the cilantro goes INSIDE the enchiladas, not on top! Unless you like your enchiladas with burned up cilantro on top put it inside with the pork and cheese.

Fifth, and this is most important! You will make a mess, you'll have maybe too much cheese, or too little pork (remember, NO MEASURING!). This is where the beauty of the last pan comes in. The last pan are the "special" enchiladas, and are always served first.

Oh yeah, spices! I almost forgot spices. I suggest cooking the ground pork with garlic salt, black pepper, chili powder and a pinch of cinnamon. Yes, cinnamon. It's a trick I learned when cooking at a Mexican restaurant that really brings out the flavor of the pork.

Bon Apetit!

2to4aday said...

I love recipes that come with commentary on how not to screw up the goods. All the ingredients are on my grocery list (although I don't know a butcher on a first-name, personal basis so my pork may not be as lean as yours)--and I'll report back after I've made them. Sounds like there'll be a green enchilada party in Minnesota sometime soon!!